Family Sharing is also an Apple feature that allows a family to distribute content, Storage, and transactions, through multiple Apple ID or iOS device accounts.
Without exchanging accounts, Apple Family Sharing allows 4-6 users to share Apple Books, iTunes, even App Store shopping, and also a family plan od Apple Music, Apple News Plus subscription, and also an iCloud plan for storage, and also share photo files, places, and the family calendar, through Macs and iOS devices.
This article will teach you how and when to set up the Family Sharing option, as well as what it entails, how it is used, and what all things can be shared.
How to Set Family Sharing
It’s quick to set up Family Sharing. The individual who installs it is known as the Organiser by Apple, and then they can select which options your family uses and welcome up to 5 members to meet their Sharing team.
When a family member accepts an invitation, Family Sharing is automatically set on their computer.
Set up Family Sharing on iPad, iPad Touch, and iPhone
- Head To settings and pick your username from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Family Sharing’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Get Started’ from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the initial function you’d like to show off to your loved ones.
- Continue by pressing the ‘Continue’ button.
- Select a Mutual Payment form, which would be utilized by members of the family to make purchases made on Apple Books, iTunes, and the App Store.
- Continue by pressing the ‘Continue’ button.
- Select Invite Members from the menu.
- If prompted, insert the security code for your Mutual Payment card & press ‘Next.’
- A unique iMessage with a connection to the Sharing invitation will appear. Give your member’s contact information by typing in their number or name.
- Select ‘Done’ from the drop-down menu.
Set up Family Sharing on Mac
- Throughout the left corner of the top side of your Mac screen, pick the Apple Menu.
- Open the Machine Preferences pane.
- If you’re using macOS Catalina, pick iCloud.
- ‘Add Member’ or ‘Set up the Family’ are the choices.
- Enter the email address, name, or Game nickname of a family member.
- Continue by pressing the Enter key.
- To confirm that you are a Family Organiser, enter the security key for your card.
- Pick whether to give an invite or to make your member of the family enter their Apple identification password.
Family Sharing Requirements
For the Family Sharing function to operate, all members of the family must be operating iOS 8 or later, or OSX Yosemite or later.
At any given time, each member of the family may only be a part of one group of the family. Additionally, you are only permitted to change family groups twice a year.
Setting the Apple Identification for just a child of age 13 is also an option, enabling them to join the Family Sharing community. To do so, go to the support page of Apple and follow the directions.
Information Shared through Family Sharing
As that of the Family Sharing Organiser, you select which functionality you would like to share among your family if you first established Family Sharing. App Store and iTunes Purchases, iCloud Storage, Apple Music, Screen Time, and Location Sharing will be the first choices to emerge.
Here is another rundown about what it means to share and those options with your members of the family using Family Sharing.
App Store and iTunes Purchases
Members of the family will have access to the movies, music, books, TV shows, as well as apps you purchased prior.
Every other member of the family will have instant passage to the paid apps that have already been purchased by different family members. These applications can be downloaded directly to the Apple computer without the need to request for or exchange Apple passwords and IDs. However, you could only share an application that supports Family Sharing.
Up to 6 family members could get full entrance to iMusic on their Apple devices at the price of 14.99 USD a month via an Apple Music Family plan, which you can then read about in our separate feature.
Every family member can receive their personal account of Apple Music, complete with private music suggestions and library, for a fraction of the cost of six separate subscriptions.
On Find My and Calls, members of the family will be capable of seeing each other’s positions. When you activate this feature, family members will be able to check the position of every device in the application of Find the iPhone.
When a member of the family wishes to keep their location secret from their members of the family, they could toggle off ‘Share the Location’ in the iCloud settings unless they choose it.
Members of the family would be willing to share the storage account with all of their data, images, and backups, removing the need for each participant to buy their plan. There are two storage options: 2TB or 200GB, both of them could be shared.
Family members may not be able to access one another’s files, but you will stay able to check just how much iCloud Storage each of you is utilizing.
You would see your kid’s screen time records & set parental restrictions through your iPhone to activate the Screen Time function in Family Sharing. This function is only available to families with children; you won’t even be able to set the time limit for a particular application for your companion, but you will be able to do so for a kid.
Another member of the family may be appointed as a guardian and parent, allowing you to keep a check on your children regarding their time on screen.
Subscriptions of Apple Products
If you’ve any subscriptions of Apple products, such as Arcade, Music, or News+, once you’ve subscribed once, anyone in the family can access them and use their personal devices & profiles when this function is activated.
Everybody in the family would be authorized to view from various devices and, therefore, will receive personalized suggestions based on their viewing habits.
So these are all the details regarding Family Sharing from Apple that you need to know about. So if you have an Apple product, you must definitely use this feature.